Monday, September 28, 2009

Washington, D.C. Trip

Wednesday of last week I joined Micha in Washington D.C. for a little trip. I love it when I can travel with Micha. Jacob stayed with his Grandpa David and Grandpa Betty. I almost thought I was going to have to cancel the trip b/c Tuesday night Jacob woke up running a high fever and we could not get it to go down. I got him in to see the doctor Wednesday morning and found it it was just an upper respiratory infection and not the flu - Thank you Lord!!! Since it was nothing big and he was in great hands I went ahead with the trip. But, as I was dropping him off I stabbed myself in the hand with a knife as I was opening up his medicine bottle. ( I know really stupid). Luckily no stitches were needed, but it hurt like heck!

Since Micha was at work on Thursday I laid in bed and slept all morning (it was so nice). Then in the afternoon I jumped on the Metro and visited Arlington Cemetery. It was very beautiful place and huge. I visited President Kennedy's grave and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Arlington Cemetery
Thursday night Micha and I went to an amazing restaurant called Nando's Peri-Peri (it was Prorogues rotisserie chicken). Then we worked off our big meal by walking all over down town to see building lit up.

White House
Washington Monument
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
On Friday we visited the Washington Monument and went up to the top. It was a great view.

The Capitol and The Mall
The White House
That afternoon we had a tour of the Capitol given to us by Congressman Burgess office. It was an amazing tour. We got to see the House of Representatives and sit in the gallery.
That night after dinner at an amazing Mexican restaurant I found a cupcake shop on our way back to the hotel. It was called Red Velvet and had the most delicious red Velvet cupcakes I have ever tasted. Micha said he didn't want any (yes - these two were for me), but later changed his mind so I was a good wife and shared. The other one was chocolate with peanut butter icing.
On Saturday morning we had our tour of the White House. Of course, there are no cameras allowed so we did not get any pictures of the inside :( I was really cool seeing rooms that I had only seen on T.V. in person.
Outside the White House after the tour.

Then we visited the National Archives and saw the Deceleration of Independence, The Constitution, & the Bill of Rights.
The Magna Carta (a source document for the constitution)
The Constitution of the United States.
The light were really low and no flash photography is allowed for the preservation of the document.
After the National Archives we hit the Smithsonian museums. These museums were amazing. The first was The National Museum of American History. Here we saw Julia Child's Kitchen. I had just started reading a book about her and didn't even know it was there. We also got to see the flag that the Star Spangled Banner was written about, but couldn't get a picture b/c it was so photography was allowed.
Julia Child's Kitchen

Then we went to the National Museum of Natural History
The Hope Diamond
At the National Air and Space Museum we all kinds of neat stuff from the Apollo missions.
The Wright Brothers Plane
On the Mall they were having the National Book Festival. I was so excited!!!!
Then on Sunday our last day we visited the Smithsonian National Zoo and saw the Great Pandas.
And that was my first trip to Washington D.C. It is a beautiful city and after so much walking I thought my feet were going to fall off. :)

2 comments:

Wandering Knapps said...

Wow. What a great trip. I am soooo glad Jacob was fine....I can't belvie you stabbed yourself. Silly. I didn't know you could go to the top of the wshington monument. Those are some great photos at night. I love them. I am so glad you got to see so many things, and it sounds like you needed THur morning to rest, for your long weekend. Have a great week, Get some rest. I am so glad you had a great time.

The Looney Kids said...

That looks like an amazing trip! And I probably would have gotten 4 cupcakes...those two spots looked lonely :) And you were so nice to share!!